How Many Kings--Downhere

I love Christmas!!! Its without a doubt my favorite time of year. I especially love Christmas music. I love music in general, so when you add the two together you get a very happy Becca. =)

Today starts my very own 25 Days of Christmas (songs and carols). Each day I'll post the lyrics to the song, a link to a video or music clip so you can listen to the song if you want, as well as a brief explanation of why I like that song. The songs won't be posted in any particular order. Its not a countdown to my favorite or anything, just a list of the Christmas songs I like to listen to or sing the most during the holiday season. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~++++++~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To start off my 25 days of Christmas songs and carols I'll be posting the words and a link to the song How Many Kings by the band Downhere.




Follow the star to a place unexpected
Would you believe after all we’ve projected
A child in a manger
Lowly and small, the weakest of all
Unlikeliness hero, wrapped in his mothers shawl
Just a child
Is this who we’ve waited for?
Cause how many kings, stepped down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
How many Gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that has torn all apart?
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?
Bringing our gifts for the newborn savior
All that we have whether costly or meek
Because we believe
Gold for his honor and frankincense for his pleasure
And myrrh for the cross he’ll suffer
Do you believe, is this who we’ve waited for?
It’s who we’ve waited for
How many kings, stepped down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
How many Gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that has torn all apart?
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?
Only one did that for me
All for me, All for you, All for me, All for you
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~++++++~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This song was released as a single in 2007 but as far as I can remember this is the first year I've heard it. I liked the song after only the first time I had heard it, which was only a few days ago. I like the chorus in particular. And while the chorus as a whole is certainly thought provoking, the line "How many gods have poured out their heart's to romance a world that was town all apart" struck me the most. I love the wording... its goes beyond the basic fact God loved the world. The concept of a loving God in and of itself is really something that is singular to the God of the bible as it is when compared to other religions and ancient gods and deities. I think that many times I personally forget just how it is that God loves me... that love is a verb, not an adjective (although it does describe God also I suppose... He is love as well). God is actively loving his people day after day. Pouring out His love to romance a world that really doesn't deserve it at all. Which really is the point of Christmas I guess, isn't it?

Just as an afterthought, while re-reading my post I noticed how many times I use the word love. That word is so overused. Someone needs to come up with a word between 'like' and 'love' because like really doesn't describe my enjoyment of the Christmas season adequately. Maybe that's what I need to say then... I "greatly enjoy" Christmas, and Christmas music, and music in general... and all those other things I claim to 'love'. Hmm....

Comments

Popular Posts